Shell Reveals Successful Gas Exploration in Deep-Water Malaysia

- Leadership - Aug 29, 2014

Oil and gas powerhouse Royal Dutch Shell has announced further exploration success in Malaysia with another gas discovery at the company-operated deep-water Marjoram-1 well.

The Marjoram-1 well is located 180 kilometres off the Malaysia coast in 800 metres of water. Earlier this year, Shell announced the Rosmari-1 gas discovery, also in this block.

Andrew Brown, Shell Upstream International Director, said: “Our strategy to expand our heartland areas through technologically advanced exploration is delivering tangible success in deep-water in Malaysia.

“We have a long history in the region, and the addition of new natural gas resources this year ensures we are able to continue to provide cost-effective, reliable, cleaner energy options for the future.”

The area of sea in question, block SK318, is operated by Shell with an 85 percent interest, with the remaining 15 percent held by PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of Malaysia’s leading international petroleum company.

Backed by over a century of history and presence in the country, the Shell companies in Malaysia are involved in Upstream, Downstream, and Projects and Technology. S

hell is the petroleum retail market leader in Malaysia, catering to one-third of Peninsular Malaysia and half of Sabah and Sarawak’s market requirements. 

Apart from one of the country’s largest networks of retail stations, its operations also include the world’s first commercial gas to liquids (GTL) plant in Bintulu, Sarawak, and a refinery in Port Dickson, Negeri Sembilan.

Under production sharing contracts with PETRONAS, Shell is the largest natural gas producer in Malaysia and employs 6,800 people in the country. 

Like what you see! Signup for our weekly newsletter

Comments(0)