Top 10 most valuable football clubs in the world
Europe dominates the global football scene when it comes to the value of clubs. In no large part due to massive TV deals worth billions each year, Europe’s top earning clubs also boast enormous fan bases spanning all corners of the globe.
But which clubs hold the highest brand value? Despite winning the Premier League last season, Leicester City does not feature inside the top 20, with Spain and England dominating the top 10.
Tottenham Hotspur’s Premier League title challenge helped it to increase its value by a massive 69 percent, which sneaks it into the top 10 ahead of Borussia Dortmund of Germany. Another poor season for Manchester United which saw it fail to reach the Champions League may have contributed to just a seven percent growth in value. Arsenal, despite also falling short, saw its value increase hugely, by 54 percent.
According to Forbes, the top 10 most valuable football clubs in the world for 2016 are:
- Real Madrid (Current value: $3.645 billion, an increase of 12 percent)
- Barcelona ($3.549 billion, also an increase of 12 percent)
- Manchester United ($3.317 billion, an increase of seven percent)
- Bayern Munich ($2.768 billion, an increase of 14 percent)
- Arsenal ($2.017 billion, an increase of 54 percent)
- Manchester City ($1.921 billion, an increase of 40 percent)
- Chelsea ($1.661 billion, an increase of 21 percent)
- Liverpool ($1.548 billion, an increase of 58 percent)
- Juventus ($1.299 billion, an increase of 55 percent)
- Tottenham Hotspur ($1.017 billion, an increase of 69 percent)
The top 20 clubs are worth an average of $1.44 billion, 24 percent more than a year ago, driven by increasing TV deals and Champions League pay-outs being made by UEFA. Kit sponsorship deals are also increasing club and brand values massively.
To find out more on the finances of the world’s biggest football clubs, head to www.forbes.com/soccer-valuations
Read the August 2016 issue of Business Review Europe magazine.
Like what you see! Signup for our weekly newsletter