Top 10 busiest airports in Europe
Airports all across Europe are becoming increasingly busy with holiday goers and business travellers as summer takes hold.
With huge events such as Euro 2016 drawing millions into France, transport hubs on the continent are set to be at capacity.
AirportsinEurope.com has compiled passenger statistics from airports around the world, with Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson being named as the world’s busiest with more than 100,000,000 people passing through its terminals.
But what about Europe? Which airports see the most passengers use its services? The top 10 based on numbers from 2015 can be found below:
- London Heathrow Airport (UK) 74,985,748
- Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport (France) 65,766,986
- Istanbul Atatürk Airport (Turkey) 61,322,729
- Frankfurt Airport (Germany) 61,032,022
- Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (Netherlands) 58,285,118
- Madrid Barajas Airport (Spain) 46,828,279
- Munich Airport (Germany) 40,981,522
- Rome Fiumicino Airport (Italy) 40,463,208
- London Gatwick Airport (UK) 40,269,087
- Barcelona Airport (Spain) 39,711,276
The long-awaited outcome or solution to the UK's London airport capacity problem could well impact these rankings in years to come. If Gatwick were to be granted a second runway then it could easily surge towards being the busiest in Europe. An expansion of Heathrow would make it rival Atlanta, pushing near the 100,000,000 passenger mark.
Like what you see! Signup for our weekly newsletter